Open Hands Open Access: Deaf-Blind Intervention Modules
Module 04: Building Trusted Relationships and Positive Self-Image
PaTTAN - Online Course
Friday February 03, 2023 - PaTTAN - Online Course
Sunday June 18, 2023 - PaTTAN - Online Course
This event is by invitation only. You must have a registration key in order to register.
This course offers a framework and a process for systematically affirming and supporting the student in everyday interactions. For students who are deaf-blind, there is nothing more important for interveners or other communication partners to understand than how to build a trusting and supportive relationship with students. Establishing a trusting, safe relationship is a foundation for all intervention and teaching approaches with students who are deaf-blind.
- Explain why trusted relationships and a positive self-image are the foundation for well-being and development.
- Describe key strategies to create reciprocal interactions from a deaf-blind perspective.
- List patterns in turn-exchanges for starting, maintaining, and ending interactions.
- Predict indicators of a student’s processing time.
- Match observations of a student with strategies to share emotions with him or her.
- Describe specific strategies for establishing joint attention.
Teams and Individuals working with and/or interested in professional development regarding students who are deaf-blind, such as parents, teachers, paraprofessionals, administrators, and other service providers, including those who are not seeking to become interveners.