Developing an Early Intervention Communication Plan and Achieving Effective Hearing Aid Use
Monday June 25, 2018 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Participants will develop communication plans for infants and toddlers with hearing differences based upon provided scenarios in facilitated groups. The workshop will also uncover reasons why children remove or resist their hearing aids and what families can do to facilitate full-time hearing aid use. The importance of listening checks at different ages will also be addressed, as well as considerations for transition to preschool at age 3.
Participants will be able to:
- Develop an Early Intervention Communication Plan for a young child who has a hearing difference.
- Describe to families who choose to use technology why full-time hearing aid use is important.
- Detail the developmental reasons why young children remove hearing aids at different ages.
- Discuss strategies and techniques for keeping the hearing aids on and verifying that they are functioning at different ages.
- Discuss the importance of appropriate transition to preschool at age 3, including independence with hearing aid skills.
Early Intervention service coordinators, providers, teachers of the deaf and hard of hearing, teachers of the visually impaired, early childhood education teachers, speech & language therapists, audiologists, special health care needs consultants, physical therapists, occupational therapists, nurses, and parents of infants and young children who are deaf, hard of hearing, deaf-blind or at risk for deaf-blindness
Individuals attending this course must arrive on time and stay the duration of the course in order to receive Act 48 Professional Education hours. Requests for exceptions are to be brought to the attention of the individual´s Superintendent or IU Director prior to the course.
Reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate individuals who have special needs as addressed by the Americans with Disabilities Act and who need assistance at this training. Contact: Linda Rhine, at 800-360-7282, or "email@example.com(Linda Rhine email)":mailtoLlrhine@pattan.net.