Middle School Success: P2G Using the Strategic Instruction Model (SIM)
Tuesday April 24, 2018 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wednesday April 25, 2018 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Thursday April 26, 2018 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM
This event is by invitation only. You must have a registration key in order to register.
This course will engage educators with practice-based professional development focused on the evidence-based practice SIM. Educators will be provided with opportunities for active learning of the SIM routines and strategies, see examples, use materials and other artifacts during the professional development that will be identical to those used in the classroom. Feedback on performance while learning the skills and understanding implementation with fidelity will be developed, as well as the role of coaching. The professional development in selected SIM Content Enhancement Routines and Learning Strategies will be presented to address the outcomes in the P2G grant. The professional development in Content Enhancement Routines to support literacy and learning include the Unit Organizer Routine and the Framing Routine. The professional development in Learning Strategies to support student social emotional learning needs includes the Socially Wise Program and the Talking Together Program from the Community Building Series. Academic focused strategies will be considered for inclusion as needed.
- Identify the three components in a routine and define them as they relate to the specific routine.
- Identify the components in the strategy that supports students’ in developing the skills to become contributing members of a learning community.
- Develop a draft routine and role play co-constructing with peers using a checklist to provide feedback to their peer(s).
- Engage in interactive media to consider SEL programs for student selection using three key principles identified by CASEL.
- Understand how the routine and strategy checklists will support fidelity of implementation, and lead to meeting the Level 2 Fidelity of Implementation micro-credential requirements while engaged in Knight’s IMPACT Cycle.
- Explore Badge List in preparation for building a portfolio for SIM micro-credentials with the goal of building capacity and sustaining SIM, an evidence-based practice.
P2G Project staff, External P2G coaches
Individuals attending this course must arrive on time and stay the duration of the course in order to receive Act 48 Professional Education hours. Requests for exceptions are to be brought to the attention of the individual´s Superintendent or IU Director prior to the course.