IDEA Mediator Training 2021
Wednesday February 24, 2021 9:15 AM - 4:00 PM - Webinar
The training program will address the important benefits of the mediator undergoing adequate preparation prior to the mediation session to significantly improve both the likelihood of achieving a mediation agreement and the quality of that agreement; instruct mediators on best practices in conducting mediations virtually; and provide mediators with the essential components of a good mediation agreement.
With respect to pre-mediation preparation, participants will be able to identify:
- whether a pre-mediation telephone conference is necessary to increase the effectiveness of the mediation session and, if so, what essential topics should be addressed;
- potential issues that might arise during the mediation session and how they might be avoided or addressed, if they do arise; and
- how to best engage with, and utilize, attorney-participants
With respect to conducting virtual mediations, participants will be able to identify:
- the technical and practical considerations in setting up a virtual mediation; and
- how to mitigate against common problems that arise in a virtual environment
With respect to the essential components of a good mediation agreement, participants will be able to:
- identify the basic legal requirements set forth in the IDEA; and
- identify the essential components for a good mediation agreement, to wit: that the agreement is understandable (in words the parties would use), appealing (avoiding reasons/explanations that risk stirring up bad feelings), and precise regarding the path forward (i.e., exactly what’s to be done, who is responsible for doing it/seeing that it is done, and by when it is to be done)
ODR Mediators and Facilitators
Reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate individuals who have special needs as addressed by the Americans with Disabilities Act and who need assistance at this event. Contact: [PERSON], at [PHONE], or [EMAIL].