2019-2020 Educational Interpreter Training Series
Interpreting A New Generation of Slang
Saturday October 05, 2019 11:00 AM - 3:15 PM
This workshop takes a look at slang that is used by the younger generation and addresses the issue of what an interpreter does when they hear these phrases. Working with younger generations means understanding their language and being able to interpret it effectively. This workshop teaches skills that help educate interpreters on current slang, how to interpret slang, and what to do when they are faced with terms with which they are unfamiliar.
- List slang vocabulary/phrases being used in today’s conversations
- Analyze common slang to determine accurate definitions
- Practice putting slang vocabulary/phrases into accurate ASL structures
- Educational Sign Language Interpreters and Interveners who provide interpreting services in Pennsylvania K-12 classrooms.
- Teachers of Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing who have at least intermediate American Sign Language Skills.