Alternate Eligible Content Science: Making the Connection
PaTTAN - Online Course
Sunday January 26, 2020 - 11:59 PM
Sunday February 02, 2020 - 11:59 PM
Sunday February 09, 2020 - 11:59 PM
Sunday February 16, 2020 - 11:59 PM
This series will provide an overview of Alternate Eligible Content for Science. Participants will be given opportunities to explore and discuss Alternate Eligible Content for Science within and across grade levels and will use the esssentialization process to examine and develop learning targets using their knowledge of individual students. Resources will be shared to help participants further explore materials and instruction utilizing Alternate Eligible Content for Science.
Module I: Alternate Eligible Content (AEC) is PA’s reduced depth and breadth content aligned directly to PA Standards. This content is assessed though the Pennsylvania Alternate System of Assessment (PASA). Participants will have an opportunity to explore eligibility criteria for accessing the PASA, as well as learn about the different science strands and content represented.
Module II: This module will provide participants with an overview of the purpose and utility of intent statements for teachers using Alternate Eligible Content. Resources for teachers to consider when planning their science instruction will also be provided.
Module III: This module will walk participants through the essentialization process. Participants will break down multiple examples of the eligible content in the categories do, know, and context. Participants will learn to modify and conceptualize content targets across a spectrum from most to least complex.
Module IV: This module will demonstrate how participants can find the essentialized examples on the PaTTAN website. The presentation includes examples from grades 4, 8, and 11. This module ends with teachers that are using the AEC in the field discussing how they have used it successfully to support student achievement.
Module I: Participants will be able to:
- Identify the eligibility criteria for participation in PASA
- Identify where to find the Science Alternate Eligible Content (AEC)
- Identify the AEC for science for grades 4, 8, and 11
Module II: Participants will be able to:
- Identify factors and instructional barriers to consider when developing science instruction for students with complex instructional needs
- Identify the purpose of intent statements in relation to Alternate Eligible Content
- Describe how the alternate eligible content and intent statements are similar and different across the grade bands
Module III: Participants will be able to:
- Essentialize the alternate eligible content into the do, know, and context
- Modify content targets based on student interest
- Modify the complexity of content targets
Module IV: Participants will be able to:
- Locate the Essentialized Examples on the PaTTAN website
- Identify procedures to support the use of the AEC in various classrooms
- Identify the backward and forward model for creating content targets
Special Education Teachers
General Education Teachers