Open Hands Open Access: Deaf-Blind Intervention Modules
Module 12: Maximizing Vision and Hearing
PaTTAN - Online Course
Thursday November 25, 2021 - PaTTAN - Online Course
Friday December 31, 2021 - PaTTAN - Online Course
This event is by invitation only. You must have a registration key in order to register.
In this course, you will review the many avenues to maximizing hearing and vision. This includes the use of medical devices like glasses and hearing aids, assistive technology devices, and individualized educational accommodations. You will review the foundation for determining the best devices and accommodations for a particular student is careful, thorough assessment. Much focus is upon the intervener who plays an essential role in helping a student use accommodations and devices and observing how well they work for him. Making the most of (maximizing) any vision or hearing that a student with deaf-blindness has, will help him be as successful as possible in school and life
- Identify assistive technology used by students who are deaf-blind
- List instructional modifications and strategies that maximize vision and hearing.
- Explain when you need to adapt a vision or hearing device or strategy to accommodate both sensory needs
- Describe how assessment is used to identify the most appropriate assistive technology for students
- Review possible barriers to the student having full access to instruction due to vision deaf-blindness.
Teams and Individuals working with and/or interested in professional development regarding students who are deaf-blind, such as parents, teachers, paraprofessionals, administrators, and other service providers, including those who are not seeking to become interveners.