Open Hands Open Access: Deaf-Blind Intervention Modules
Module 07: Emergent Communication
PaTTAN - Online Course
Friday May 01, 2020
Friday June 12, 2020
Tuesday June 30, 2020
This event is by invitation only. You must have a registration key in order to register.
This course is a companion to Module 6 ("Basic Communication
Principles"). Together they introduce emergent communication. As you
learned in Module 6, "emergence" means a gradual beginning or coming forth; a rising to the surface. These courses are about how to help communication emerge in
students who are deaf-blind. The information presented in this course builds gradually. The concepts in each
learning activity build on those presented in prior learning activities. It is extremely important that you complete the activities in order.
- Classify "movements," "sounds," and "touching objects," and recognize them as meaningful, concrete, purposeful behaviors.
- Design and demonstrate "shared experiences" with a student.
- Review how experiences leave bodily-emotional traces in the memory and how students express these memory traces in their behavior.
- Identify strategies that can be used to co-create shared meaning of a student’s expressions and develop gestures, meaningful sounds, and objects of reference (object cues).
- Explain strategies that can be used to develop gestures, meaningful sounds, and objects of reference (object cues) based on the intervener´s forms of communication.
- List the steps that need to be taken to expand concrete communication forms before moving on to abstract communication forms.
Teams and Individuals working with and/or interested in professional development regarding students who are deaf-blind, such as parents, teachers, paraprofessionals, administrators, and other service providers, including those who are not seeking to become interveners.
Individuals attending this course must arrive on time and stay the duration of the course in order to receive Act 48 Professional Education hours. Requests for exceptions are to be brought to the attention of the individual´s Superintendent or IU Director prior to the course.