Supporting Young Children who are Deaf-Blind
PaTTAN - Online Course
Tuesday January 03, 2023 - PaTTAN - Online Course
Tuesday January 31, 2023 - PaTTAN - Online Course
This training is designed to share information about the uniqueness of children who are Deaf-Blind through greater knowledge of various diagnoses and syndromes that result in combined vision and hearing loss. The presenter will share information on the impact of Deaf-Blindness and strategies to improve communication among team members for successful collaboration between families and the agencies that support their children. This training will teach participants the importance of routines, touch, and wait time for young children who are Deaf-Blind. Current resources for families and professionals will be explored, including the EITA Portal.
- Describe various diagnoses and syndromes that effect or result in vision and hearing loss – raising awareness of the “at-risk” child.
- Describe the effect that vision loss, hearing loss and vision and hearing loss combined has on the development of the child.
- Demonstrate the communication skills necessary for the successful collaboration between families and agencies that support their children.
- List emerging information about the importance of routines, touch, and wait time.
- Describe recommended modifications for the home environment.
- Identify additional information about online resources for families and professionals, local, state and national organizations related to deaf-blindness, and Pennsylvania-specific resources.
This training is intended for early intervention service coordinators, providers, teachers of the deaf and hard of hearing, teachers of the visually impaired, early childhood education teachers, speech and language therapists, audiologists, special health care needs consultants, physical therapists, occupational therapists, nurses, and parents of infants and young children who are deaf-blind or at risk for deaf-blindness.
Reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate individuals who have special needs as addressed by the Americans with Disabilities Act and who need assistance at this training. Contact: Linda Rhine, at 800-360-7282, or "firstname.lastname@example.org(Linda Rhine email)":mailto:email@example.com.