PULSE - Principals Understanding Leadership in Special Education
Saturday December 28, 2019 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Tuesday January 28, 2020 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Wednesday January 29, 2020 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Tuesday February 25, 2020 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Wednesday February 26, 2020 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Tuesday March 24, 2020 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Friday May 15, 2020 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM
This event is by invitation only. You must have a registration key in order to register.
This 30-hour PIL course aims to build upon principals’ working knowledge and skill sets needed to successfully program and innovate for students with disabilities. The growing field of research at the intersection of principals and special education yields evidence-based practices that support outcomes for students with disabilities. PULSE blends and braids throughout three instructional days, data practices, multi-tier systems of supports, legal literacy, and implementation of and sustaining evidence-based practices. Through retrieval and analysis of data related to special education to understanding programming options for inclusive systems and individual student supports, participants will increase their abilities to lead and impact student and systems growth. Other experiences that encourage knowledge and skills around special education include, self-assessment, lectures, exposure to literature, videos, scenarios, discourse and action research design. The three in-class days are titled, Leading a Culture of Change, Being an Instructional Leader, and Supporting Effective Behavioral Systems.
Day 1 Leading a Culture of Change – participants engage literature, data and discourse about leadership, change and vision, laws and regulations, LRE, LEA Representation and Climate and Culture.
Day 2: Being an Instructional Leader -participants engage literature, tasks, data and discourse to support learning around multi-tier systems of support, universal design for learning, standards aligned and alternate eligible content, specially designed instruction, supplementary aids and services, assistive technology and secondary transition.
Day 3: Supporting Effective Behavioral Systems - throughout Day 3 of PULSE, participants are required to engage in literature and complete several tasks to support learning around school-wide behavior systems, functional behavior assessment and behavior intervention plans, manifestation determination, alternatives to suspensions and expulsions, and restraints.
1. Apply key principles of IDEA and Chapter 14 regulations towards establishing individual vision and mission statements, class activities, and final class project.
2. Identify and analyze authentic data sources that inform student growth and are utilized to plan and execute change using the problem solving cycle - identify problem | hypothesize why | select and implement a solution | monitor fidelity and growth outcomes.
3. Critique legal review of special education case law and analyze their relevance towards the IDEA Part B 17 required federal indicators, PA State Performance Plan and their own LEA Special Education Plan and the policy and programming for students with disabilities.
4. Self assess and identify new practices to support the critical role of Local Education Agency (LEA) representative in; a) overseeing the implementation of IEP instructional goals including secondary transition goals; and b) assuring alignment and access to PA Academic Standard, including Alternate Eligible Content, in the least restrictive environment.
5. Compare evidence based practices that impact school culture and climate, specifically the implementation of a Multi Tiered System of Support for behavior.
This training is designed specifically for principals, assistant principals, superintendents and assistant superintendents ONLY.
12/28/2019, 01/28/2020, 01/29/2020, 02/13/2020, 02/14/2020, 03/17/2020, 05/15/2020
Location: PaTTAN - Harrisburg
12/28/2019, 01/28/2020, 01/29/2020, 03/05/2020, 03/06/2020, 04/07/2020, 04/30/2020
Location: PaTTAN - Pittsburgh
12/28/2019, 01/28/2020, 01/29/2020, 02/25/2020, 02/26/2020, 03/24/2020, 05/15/2020
Location: PaTTAN - East
01/09/2020, 01/23/2020, 01/24/2020, 02/27/2020, 02/28/2020, 04/02/2020, 06/02/2020
Location: PaTTAN - East