Foundations of Reading Series
Foundations of Reading: Vocabulary
Tuesday January 07, 2020 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
This training will focus on the research evidence related to vocabulary instruction for primary students in grades Kindergarten through Second Grade. Participants will be instructed in how to successfully implement explicit vocabulary instructional routines, use the WIDA Can Do Descriptors to plan instruction for diverse learners, embed indirect vocabulary instruction in daily oral language. Other multi-sensory techniques will be shared such as word matrices (morphology work) and sentence elaboration. Ways to assess vocabulary will also be shared.
Participants will be able to:
- Explain the role of vocabulary development and knowledge in oral and written language comprehension.
- List characteristics of direct and indirect vocabulary instruction.
- Demonstrate the key parts of explicit instruction (I Do, We Do, You Do)
- Create an explicit vocabulary lesson to teach to a partner.
- Use the WIDA Can Do Descriptors to differentiate a lesson.
- Develop 2 examples of indirect vocabulary instruction using common phrases.
Core classroom teachers, Special Educators, Reading Specialists, Speech and Language Pathologists, Literacy Coaches, English Learner Instructors, School Administrators, School Psychologists