Functional Behavioral Assessment: Addressing the Behavioral Needs of Individual Students
Monday November 25, 2019 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Tuesday November 26, 2019 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
When a student’s behavior is interfering with his/her learning or the learning of others, a Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) is used to identify problem behaviors and develop interventions to improve or eliminate those behaviors. The procedural steps in conducting a FBA require focused teaming, precise behavioral tracking, and targeted interventions to best support the student in all intended educational settings. Intervention fidelity and progress monitoring are additional key factors that effectively link the socially appropriate replacement behaviors to a supporting student level Positive Behavior Support Plan. Attendees in this series will learn how to conduct a Functional Behavioral Assessment and the requisite behavioral decision making process to successfully connect interventions to a technically adequate Positive Behavior Support Plan. Explicit areas of focus will include the process of making data informed decisions and fidelity based progress monitoring at both the targeted and tertiary levels of student support.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify the core components and systemic steps for conducting an evidence-based FBA
- Define the target behaviors intended for change and identify appropriate replacement behaviors
- Describe the various data tools that are commonly used during the FBA process and explain rationale for use and behavioral response tracking
- Create a technically adequate behavior support plan based on the FBA findings and specific area of behavioral need
- Explain the necessary procedures in progress monitoring and related fidelity tracking of the positive behavior support plan
General educators, intermediate unit training and consulting staff, administrators, guidance counselors, school psychologists, special educators, and behavior specialists.
Location: PaTTAN - East
Location: PaTTAN - Harrisburg
Location: PaTTAN - Pittsburgh