Intensive Skill Training in Applied Behavior Analysis for Teams Supporting Students with Autism
Wednesday July 20, 2016 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Thursday July 21, 2016 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Friday July 22, 2016 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
This event is by invitation only. You must have a registration key in order to register.
This session will provide intensive training and analogue guided practice in teaching skills for applied behavior analytic interventions incorporating an analysis of verbal behavior. It is designed to meet the needs of teams who are participating in the PaTTAN Autism Initiative ABA/VB efforts. Focus will be on skills related to teaching students with autism and related developmental disorders. The three day training will involve having participants demonstrate skills related to identifying the verbal operants and other ABA concepts, developing classroom schedules and card sort systems for teaching, demonstrating procedures for intensive teaching (discrete trial instruction) and basic mand training skills. The session will include a brief overview of the VB-MAPP assessment tool and deriving student programs based on the assessment outcomes. Establishing instructional control and reducing problem behavior will also be discussed. Participants will be required to demonstrate acquisition of conceptual skills through brief oral and written assessments, complete brief homework assignments, and demonstrate implementation of various teaching protocols.
- name verbal operants observed in a teaching session at a rate of at least 23 per minute during a one minute timing.
- pass a brief competency exam on basic behavioral concepts.
- demonstrate use of a card sort system to guide intensive teaching procedures for verbal operants.
- state basic procedures to establish instructional control.
- demonstrate the teaching protocol for basic intensive teaching of verbal operants including fast pace presentation of trials, mixed and varied instruction, effective use of variable ratio schedule of reinforcement, and fluent student responding.
- accurately state and demonstrate errorless teaching procedures for intensive teaching protocol.
- accurately state and demonstrate error correction procedures for intensive teaching protocol.
- demonstrate use of appropriate prompt procedures.
- demonstrate process of presenting mand trials including mand transfer trials.
- identify and complete basic data collection procedures including cold probe for intensive teaching targets, mand cold probe procedures, and mand frequency.
- develop example classroom schedules that provide adequate allotment of instructional responding in relation to critical verbal skills
Participant teams will develop a classroom schedule that includes dense schedule of instruction for critical language competencies.
New classroom teams and returning classroom teams participating in the PaTTAN Autism Initiative ABA/VB efforts (PA VB Project)
Individuals attending this course must arrive on time and stay the duration of the course in order to receive Act 48 Professional Education hours. Requests for exceptions are to be brought to the attention of the individual´s Superintendent or IU Director prior to the course.