2022 PaTTAN Literacy Symposium
62. The Many Facets of Reading Comprehension: Where Does Strategy Instruction Fit?
Thursday June 16, 2022 8:45 AM - 10:00 AM - Webinar
Reading comprehension is multifaceted, and as such requires a multifaceted instructional approach. While teaching strategies is only one aspect of that instruction, is it important? YES! The teaching of reading comprehension strategies has been shown to be effective, so what do we know about how that instruction looks? This session will address the need for brief instruction that engages students in strategic actions designed to develop monitoring skills and flexibility in navigating text in order to create that “mental model” of understanding.
Specifically, we will examine:
- What leading experts have concluded about comprehension strategy instruction’s limitations and benefits: what processes, when to teach, and how;
- The gradual release approach (“I do, we do, you do”) in strategy lessons;
- The importance of utilizing Think-Alouds; and
- A model lesson in teaching inference. (3-8)
Elementary Educators, Secondary Educators, Special Education Teachers, Speech Language Practitioners, School Leaders/Administrators, Reading Specialists, Teachers of English Language Learners, Literacy Coaches, Instructional Support Team Members, School Psychologists, Pre-Service Teachers, Higher Education Instructors, Paraprofessionals, and Families
Reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate individuals who have special needs as addressed by the Americans with Disabilities Act and who need assistance at this event. Contact: Kelly Kapp, at 717-901-2271, or email@example.com