Beyond the Dyslexia Pilot: Advancing and Applying Evidence-Based Literacy Practices at the Core
Wednesday November 28, 2018 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Thursday November 29, 2018 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Friday November 30, 2018 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Tuesday February 19, 2019 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Tuesday May 21, 2019 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
This event is by invitation only. You must have a registration key in order to register.
This training will provide in-depth knowledge and practice related to the science of reading in relation to the prevention of reading difficulties and intervention for students who may present with dyslexia.
It will provide details on the key components of foundational reading skills: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension and oral language. Sample case studies will be provided to actively engage participants in analyzing student data to prescribe appropriate reading intervention. Effective instructional routines will be shared and practiced along with comprehension strategies including the use of text dependent questions. Teams will present the application of learned content, collect qualitative and quantitative data, apply instructional routines to classroom practice, and engage in ongoing professional learning communities.
Participants will be able to:
- Explain the theoretical frameworks that underpin the science of reading
- Define dyslexia
- List the characteristics of dyslexia
- List the Big Five of Reading
- Explain the instructional sequence of a phonics lesson
- Construct and implement a phonics lesson including the theoretical frameworks that underpin the science of reading
- Score a spelling inventory
- Compare and contrast instructional materials and resources
- Judge instructional materials to determine efficacy, listing reasons for the decision
Special educators, regular educators, reading specialists, administrators, parents
Thursday May 23, 2019 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Location: PaTTAN - Harrisburg
Thursday May 09, 2019 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Location: PaTTAN - Pittsburgh