Supports for Families
Please note office hours are intended to provide real-time technical assistance to educators, caregivers, parents, and students. Technical assistance is not legal advice. Specific questions concerning a student’s special education program or the laws relating to the provision of services in a child’s IEP (Individualized Educational Program) should be directed to ConsultLine at 800-879-2301
Date/Time: By appointment only. Please email Englishlearners@pattan.net to set up targeted technical assistance (flexible based upon need through multiple modes: Email, phone, Zoom, Twitter)
Translation and Interpretation Services:
Under IDEA and Civil Rights Act of 1964, translation and interpretation services must be provided to families in their preferred language and mode of communication. In Pennsylvania, the top five languages other than English are Spanish (60.8%), Mandarin Chinese (4.7%), Arabic (2.23%), Nepali (3.7%), and Vietnamese (2.4%). To support that endeavor, families and schools can consider the use of Microsoft Translator or Google Translate as additional supports. Knowing that those tools will not be providing perfect translation/interpretation, these tools should not be used for any IEP-related communications. A qualified interpreter and/or translator should be used in these legal matters.
Microsoft Translator: Microsoft Translator helps bridge communication gaps by supporting accessible classroom learning with live captioning, cross-language understanding, and even multilingual casual conversations to help with student integration. Download the app Select your platform to download directly from the app store. Android iOSWindows desktop
Google Translate (Translate.google.com): Google's free service instantly translates words, phrases, and web pages between English and over 100 other languages
ReadWorks: ReadWorks is here to support educators and families facing the unprecedented challenge of remote learning due to COVID-19. Remote learning resources for educators and families.
- HUNE is a not for profit organization that provides free bilingual English and Spanish training, technical assistance and individual assistance to families of infants, toddlers, children, and youth with disabilities and to professionals who work with children.
- HUNE's Andy's Café is going Virtual! Every Wednesday at noon, starting April 1 thru June 17. Information sharing session: where to find Educational Resources and more in SPANISH! Register:
HUNE COVID-19 Resources in English and Spanish
HUNE Family, Educators and Student Resources in English and Spanish
- Immigrant Connections / English Learner Family Engagement During Coronavirus
Offers resources that we can offer EL/immigrant parents to support them in working with their children at home. The following resources (video clips, articles, etc.) are for non-English speaking parents to help them think through how they might support their child’s learning at home over the coming weeks.
- Microsoft Immersive Reader - Immersive Reader is a free tool that uses proven techniques to improve reading for people regardless of their age or ability. Enable students with learning differences such as Dyslexia using text decoding solutions and help build confidence for emerging readers through features like Line Focus and Picture Dictionary.
- Colorin Colorado / Coronavirus: Multilingual Resource for Schools - It's important that schools share accurate information about coronavirus with all school staff and families, including families of English learners. These resources include multilingual fact sheets and infographics.
- Colorin Colorado / School Responses to COVID-19: ELL/Immigrant Considerations
- Reading Rockets / Reading Tips for Parents (in Spanish, French, Arabic, Traditional Chinese, Haitian Creole, Hmong, Korean, Portuguese, Russian (preschool to grade 3), Tagalog, and Vietnamese)
- Colorin Colorado / How to Read an E-Book With Your Child
- National Center for Families Learning / 30 Days for Families Learning Together / Aprendizaje en familia - NCFL’s guide to 30 Days of Families Learning Together provides a month’s worth of family literacy activities and practices designed to inspire family memories rooted in imagining, playing, and learning together.