Supports for Educators
Please note office hours are intended to provide real-time technical assistance to educators, caregivers, parents, and students. Technical assistance is not legal advice. Specific questions concerning a student’s special education program or the laws relating to the provision of services in a child’s IEP (Individualized Educational Program) should be directed to ConsultLine at 800-879-2301
Testing your system:
Participants are encouraged to test your computers/devices prior to the date of the web conference using https://zoom.us/test, and to seek local assistance if you encounter difficulty.
Date/Time: Monday-Friday (8 AM-11:30 AM and 12:30 PM - 4 PM)
Possible Topics: Universal Screening and Progress Monitoring, SW-PBIS Structures and Sustainability, Evidence-Based Practices (Behavior and Social-Emotional Learning), Integraton of MTSS, Classroom Management, Data Analysis, Equitable Disciplinary Practices, Functional Behavioral Assessments/Positive Behavior Support Plans, Alternatives to Suspension & Expulsion, Student Voice, Sustainable Practices and Outcomes, Organizational & Systems Level Change
Email for Questions: Schools and teams may seek out support by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.
Behavior Bytes Coffee Break!
Check out all Behavior Bytes, under the Behavior Initiative Page.
Pennsylvania Department of Education
MTSS Guidance for 2020-2021 School Year
PBIS - Supporting Students during the Pandemic
Teacher Desk References:
MTSS Behavior Resources
Proactive Approaches to School Discipline Using Alternatives to Suspensions and Expulsions
Resources - Publications
- Alternatives to Suspension and Expulsion - Despite their wide-spread use, disciplinary exclusions are largely ineffective in reducing problem behaviors. This product provides information about implementing alternative consequence strategies and reducing the need for suspension and expulsion.
- Special Education Leader - What you Should Know About Suspension and Expulsion - School leaders have the challenge of creating and sustaining school cultures that effectively address positive school climate, discipline with dignity and equity, and high achievement for all students. This issue of Special Education Leader provides school leaders with information to establish and maintain a safe and healthy instructional climate for students and reduce the frequency of negative student behaviors.
Functional Behavior Assessment & Positive Behavior Support Plans
- Teachers' Desk Reference: Classroom Management - This issue of Teachers' Desk Reference outlines practical classroom strategies, tips, and basic procedures that teachers can use to make favorable modifications in their students' behavior.
- Instructional Practices for Behavior Management - This information sheet discusses the link between classroom behavior and instruction. Included is a checklist to help teachers determine if they are implementing effective instructional practices in their classrooms.
- Pennsylvania Positive Behavior Support - PaTTAN's Administrators' Toolkit contains 5 modules of evidence-based resources. This toolkit contains 5 Modules: Maximize Classroom Structure, Classroom Rules, Actively Engage Students in Observable Ways, Use a Continuum of Strategies to Acknowledge Appropriate Behavior, and Use a Continuum of Strategies to Respond to Inappropriate Behavior. Click on "Coaches Corner" then Click on "Coaches Resources," then "Administrators' Toolkit" for a link to the Dropbox containing the handouts, articles, videos, and resources.
- Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) Process - Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) is a process of gathering information to understand the function (purpose) of behavior in order to write an effective Positive Behavior Support Plan. This publications explains the FBA process and includes a worksheet, which walks IEP teams through the steps of the process.
- Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) - Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) is a student-centered team process used in instances when behavior negatively impacts a student’s learning or that of the student’s peers. This brochure provides information about FBA.
- Annotated Positive Behavior Support Plan - For a student with an Individualized Education Program (IEP), the positive behavior support plan is integrated within the IEP document. However, while focusing on behavioral interventions, the team may find it helpful to develop all components of the plan at one time. For this reason, the annotated positive behavior support plan includes relevant components of Section VI of the IEP document: program modifications and specifically designed instruction, related services, and supports for school personnel provided for the child. These may serve as reminders for the IEP team to consider in designing the positive behavior support plan.
- Teachers' Desk Reference: Family and Community Engagement - This issue of Teachers' Desk Reference provides practical strategies for involving family and community members as partners in education. It also provides valuable resources for increasing successful outcomes for all students.
Pennsylvania Career Ready Skills (PA CRS)
Behavior -- Web Resources
Supporting English Learners -- Web Resources
Equitable Practices -- Web Resources
Progress Monitoring Resources