Open Hands Open Access: Deaf-Blind Intervention Modules
Module 17: Social Skills and Peer Relationships Module
PaTTAN - Online Course
Sunday February 05, 2023 - PaTTAN - Online Course
Friday March 10, 2023 - PaTTAN - Online Course
This event is by invitation only. You must have a registration key in order to register.
This course will provide participants each individual circle of the model allows for a more in-depth analysis of what each student needs and how to
facilitate that without becoming too involved to the point of disrupting natural connections being made. Through evaluating your own personal circle of friends, a student with deaf-blindness’ own circle of friends is better understood.
- Review the important role that social skills play in school and post-school success.
- Compare how deaf-blindness and decreased opportunities for incidental learning can impact the development of social skills.
- Describe how to support natural social interactions based on shared activities and interests within the framework of family culture and local norms.
- Describe how the intervener can facilitate friendships and interactions between the student and others in the school and community.
- Examine how Circle of Friends process can be used to identify challenges and strategies to support social connections.
Teams and Individuals working with and/or interested in professional development regarding students who are deaf-blind, such as parents, teachers, paraprofessionals, administrators, and other service providers, including those who are not seeking to become interveners.