Open Hands Open Access: Deaf-Blind Intervention Modules
Module 21: Sexuality
PaTTAN - Online Course
Saturday February 05, 2022 - PaTTAN - Online Course
Thursday March 10, 2022 - PaTTAN - Online Course
This event is by invitation only. You must have a registration key in order to register.
This course focuses on sexuality and that sexuality is a part of human life. Content will review that by providing information and support about sexuality to students who are deaf-blind, we are helping people have the information that they need to lead a self-determined life.
- Define sexuality as a natural and healthy part of the human experience.
- Examine issues of sexuality which are relevant across the lifespan.
- Describe sexuality education content for various ages (i.e., infant/toddler, preschool, school age, middle and high school, transition).
- Distinguish sexuality myths from facts and understand the importance of sexuality education that is factual, medically accurate, age appropriate, and free of bias.
- Describe the important role that self-esteem plays in self-determination and making healthy, informed choices.
- Review the importance of being proactive with sexuality education and providing instruction before it is needed or becomes a problem.
- Identify how sexuality education may be governed by laws and policies and must be conducted in collaboration with educational teams and families.
Teams and Individuals working with and/or interested in professional development regarding students who are deaf-blind, such as parents, teachers, paraprofessionals, administrators, and other service providers, including those who are not seeking to become interveners.