Dyslexia Expansion Project Staff Development
Thursday January 16, 2020 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Friday January 17, 2020 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
This event is by invitation only. You must have a registration key in order to register.
This training will provide in-depth knowledge and practice related to the science of reading in relation to the prevention of reading difficulties and intervention for students who may present with dyslexia. As a result of this staff development participants will demonstrate the necessary components to effectively participate in the Dyslexia Expansion Project.
It will provide details on the key components of foundational reading skills: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension and oral language. Sample case studies will be provided to actively engage participants in analyzing student data to prescribe appropriate reading intervention. Effective instructional routines will be shared and practiced along with comprehension strategies including the use of text dependent questions. Teams will present the application of learned content, collect qualitative and quantitative data, apply instructional routines to classroom practice, and engage in ongoing professional learning communities.
Participants will be able to:
- Advance students' speaking and listening language skills, including vocabulary knowledge and the use of inferential and narrative "academic" language.
- Support students' awareness of the segments of sounds in speech, and how sound segments link to letters.
- Identify ways for students to decode words, analyze words parts, and write and recognize words.
- Support students' development of reading accuracy, fluency, and comprehension through reading connected text (adapted from IES)
- Describe and implement core elements of teaching foundational reading to grades K through 3 are: comprehension, fluency, morphology, word recognition, decoding, letter-sound relations, phonological awareness, language, vocabulary, and background knowledge.
Special educators, regular educators, reading specialists, administrators, parents. Registration is by invitation to schools participating in the Dyslexia Expansion Project Staff Development
Location: Plum Borough Senior HS
Location: PaTTAN - Harrisburg
Location: Carbon-Lehigh Intermediate Unit 21
Location: Beaver Valley IU 27
Location: Kings College - Sheehy-Farmer Campus Center
Location: Northwest Tri-County Intermediate Unit 05