Pennsylvania LETRS: Language Essentials for Teachers of Reading and Spelling
PA LETRS Mod 1, 2nd Ed.: The Challenge of Learning to Read
Wednesday September 25, 2019 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Module 1 focuses on why learning to read is so difficult for many students, how reading develops, and what is happening when the reading process does not progress as expected. (Focus: All grades)
Module 1 Attendees will better understand:
- why learning to read is difficult for many students
- how good readers read
- the progression of reading development
- how to recognize tasks that are typical of each component of comprehensive reading instruction
- that biological, genetic, cognitive, environmental, and instructional causes interact to influence reading development
- characteristics of dyslexia
Teachers of reading and spelling, including literacy consultants, coaches, reading specialists, special education teachers, regular education teachers, general and special education administrators, and IU TACs are invited to attend.
Individuals attending this course must arrive on time and stay the duration of the course in order to receive Act 48 Professional Education hours. Requests for exceptions are to be brought to the attention of the individual´s Superintendent or IU Director prior to the course.
All participants are required to take Module 1 prior to participation in Modules 2 through 12.