Supports for Educating Students With Complex Instructional Needs
Maximizing Academic Access, Expectations, and Learning (MAX) focuses on building the capacity of Pennsylvania schools and intermediate units (IU) to provide students with complex instructional needs with maximum access to and learning of grade level, general education curriculum. All of which is based on Pennsylvania standards.
Previously known as Project MAX, this work was developed based on a State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG) awarded to the Pennsylvania Department of Education by the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP).
The goal of MAX is to optimize practice in the following areas: Leadership; Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment; Least Restrictive Environment; Individual Student Supports; Family and Community Involvement; and Collaboration and Problem Solving.
To achieve this, MAX encompasses the following key features:
• Formalized teaming processes to support systems change
• Standards-Aligned Instruction
• Data-Driven Decision Making
• Practice Profile and Implementation Plan
• Professional development modules
• Instructional coaching tools
• Standards-Aligned Unit Plan